
There is a little boy who I have been baby sitting a couple times a week. He is Cam's age and bigger than Ty. The other day, he started crying, so I turned to see Cam standing next to him looking very guilty. I asked Cam if he hit Ami, and he said no. I asked him why Ami was crying and he confidently said, "I eat him." The same day, I took all three of the boys to the small play area at South Towne Mall. He attempted to bite another boy on the slide. Luckily, he only got shirt! I left the mall feeling so frustrated and in tears. Why would he start biting now? That is something that young toddlers do, not 2 1/2 year old ones. What did I do wrong? With Ty I thought I was such an amazing mom, so prideful in my ways, and sweet little Cam has humbled me immensely. I talked to DB, and I was totally at a loss. He laughs at any punishment he receives and is totally defiant. Sounds like a normal 'terrible-two-year-old', I know. I prayed for some sort of comfort, some sort of guidance. I know that the one perfect parent could help. I went to bed in tears, but confident that time would help me figure something out. I have a stack of Ensign's that I have been trying to get through. I picked one up the next morning and the next article was called, "Love, Limits and Latitude." It was absolutely an answer to my prayers! In the article, President James E. Faust is quoted: "...child rearing is individualistic. What works with one [child] may not work for another." Any of you who have ever been around my children know how night and day they are. I have heard this advice before, but it never clicked until that moment. This past week, I have worked to be more even-tempered with my children. I've worked on consequences, not discipline. I have neglected my chores to be with my children, and that alone has made a world of difference in the mood of my home, and the attitude of Cam. For the first time in his life, he wants me to comfort him, not his dad. I have rocked him to sleep at least 3 times this week. I have looked at motherhood with a much more humble attitude and know that I don't have to go it alone. Prayer is real. Heavenly Father is aware of all of my struggles. He wants to help and all I had to do was ask. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long!

5 comments:
You are such an example to me... Although you might not see it, I totally look up to you as a mother!!! I love you and thanks for being you!
Seriously you ought to blog more often! We love you guys and miss you tons! Thanks for the beautiful post.
That is so beautiful! I taught a lesson in church this week about leading the Lord's way and the examples from Joseph Smith's life. I couldn't help but think in parenting how important the things that you just talked about must be (consequences, spending time, etc.) when I am a mom...I am definately coming to you for advice! :)
I agree, with all said. When I slow down and do less with the house, the errands, and all the crazyness that is so unnecessary. I find I enjoy my kids more and they enjoy me more. Less battles, fights and frustrations. I think I will take a peak at that article : ) Thanks
Oh, this post is so sweet! This is good advice for me when I have more kids in the future. Thanks for posting it!
Post a Comment