Sunday, March 9, 2008
My CAREER of Choice
So, I am a big fan of the cable channel, TLC. I love to watch the home improvement shows, the makeover shows, and the shows about babies. Recently, they have started a new series called, "The Secret Life of a Soccer Mom." Now, let me be clear, I haven't watched the show. Quite frankly, I am totally offended at the very idea of the series. In the commercials for the show (really, not in this way, but you get the point...), it explains that this show gives poor, oppressed "soccer moms" the opportunity to live out their "dream job." I am a stay at home mom (for the most part... my rationalization: I work when they are asleep) by my own choice. I love my children and I would not choose to do anything else in this world but raise them and teach them with my entire heart, mind and soul. The idea that these women have somehow missed out on something by dedicating their lives to raising their children is completely ridiculous. I could never regret the choices I have made in my life. I did things a little bit backwards, yes, but I can't regret anything because I love where I am today. My children are amazing and they teach me something new every day. I experience miracles every day because of them. I do plan on going to college someday and furthering my education, but I could never do that at the expense of seeing my boys grow and learn as much as I possibly can. In the commercial for this show, it shows a mother after spending some time at her "dream job," telling her children, "Mommy has a big choice to make." What choice is that? To be a mom or a career women? That never has to be a choice. You go with what means the most. If this choice between your family and your job is even considered, priorities definitely need to be examined. Women work and raise children every day. Does this hurt those children? It's really not for me to say. That is a personal decision that each family must make on their own. My choice was to stay home and be with my children. That is obviously not the choice everyone should make. The idea that being a stay at home mom could detract from someone from fulfilling their life is sickening to me. It's really not an either/or thing to me. You do what you have to do for your family, 1. Once I became a mother, it wasn't just about me anymore. My "dreams" changed. I don't really know what I'm trying to say right now... Maybe just that being a parent is the most amazing thing any person could ever dream of experiencing. Detracting from this on national television broke my heart. I hope the mothers that participate on this show realize how lucky they are to have such an amazing opportunity to be such an influential part of such a pure and perfect little person's life. In my humble opinion, there is no other career that any person could choose that can affect a person's life so entirely than being a mother. You give these little people life, then for the rest of that delicate life, it is your responsibility to guide them in a positive direction, to teach them right from wrong, and to love them with all that you are. Nothing could be better, more rewarding or more challenging than that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment